Wednesday, July 04, 2007




Happy 4TH of July !
Well I realize I haven't been keeping up with posting as I would have liked to and I could make all kinds of excuses until Jesus comes back about as to why but I wont except that I have recently started working for a new company about a month ago and things have been very crazy and the verdict is still out as to wether I will be staying with them or not. More to come on that subject in the near future.

Today is my birthday and as I sit here in some some little town on the edge of North Dakota and Timbuktu drinking my celebratory bottle of wine and watching a modest small town fireworks display, I sit and think of a few nice words and phone calls today from friends and for a moment everything seems good in the world. Only for a moment though. On a day like today people maybe don't take the time anymore to appriciate this country and what maybe it stood for at some point in its history and the ideals behind it. This is where I stop with the patriotic rah rah speech and in light of the state of things in the world I leave you with some words from one of the greats who is no longer with us.
....... I had a vision of a way we could all have no enemies ever again, if you're interested in this. Anybody interested in hearing this? It's kind of an interesting theory, and all we have to do is make one decisive act and we can rid the world of all our enemies at once. Here's what we do. You know all that money we spend on nuclear weapons and defense every year? Trillions of dollars.
Instead, if we spent that money feeding and clothing the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded...not ONE... we could as one race explore outer space together in peace, for ever.

Bill Hicks

Far fetched? Maybe. Maybe not. But beats the shit out of what were doing now.


Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Blackpetunia said...

Happy Birthday, yesterday, Denny.
And nice quote from Mr. Hicks, it's sad he died.

5:52 AM  
Blogger Denny said...

Bill was one of the most outspoken comics of his time and it is very sad he isnt with us anymore.

11:22 AM  
Blogger JLee said...

Happy (belated) birthday! Like the quote...

2:59 PM  
Blogger jason said...

Happy Birthday.

"Today a young man on acid realized that matter is just energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all of one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no death, life is just an illusion of ourselves...here's Tom with the weather." -paraphrased Bill Hicks.

One of my favorite comedians. I have 4 or 5 of his cd's. Brilliant stuff. I love the quote you used as well.

4:16 PM  
Blogger vivavavoom said...

what a great bday to have....happy bday!!!!!wish the quote you left was a possible reality. hope the job works..or doesn't...whatever feels right for you.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Spoony Quine said...

` Your birthday is America's birthday (or whatever you call it)? KEWL!!

` Y'know, Bill Hicks was a frickin' genius! I bet if people did that it would work. It's simple, but often when simple solutions are tried out they do work.
` Kinda like the whole Gandhi thing. He influenced an entire nation by preaching nonviolence, not eating and setting a good example of how not to let the oppressors get their way.
` At last, he said, "just don't work today" and nobody came to work! So, the Brits finally got fed up and took off.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Spoony Quine said...

` PS - Have you figured out whether it was a mint or a cake yet?

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home